The Oath of Cinders
You have come to worship fire through a god or primordial: you are an anointed champion of flame. Your searing smites burn foes to their hollow, passionless hearts. The heat of your inner flame burns bright to inspire and heal others.
How you came to serve Fire:
1) Childhood Accident: in spite of the severe scarring you suffered, you saw the brilliance, beauty and power of fire.
2) Annihilation of Clan: you were spared the flaming end that the rest of your clan met at the hands of the Burning Order. They were cleansed, but you were reborn.
3) Purified: you were poisoned or diseased. A paladin in services to the Great Flame burned away your ailments.
4) Cleansing the Impure: your homeland has suffered a plague of undeath. Your family was taken (and likely turned) so you have joined up to help end the threat.
5) Legacy of Fire: your father was a paladin, and his father before him and his before as well. Your bloodline has always served.
6) Divine Awakening: in the depths of your mind, there is a voice telling you how to scour away the darkness, disease and evil of the world. Fire walks with you.
Champions of Khazas Ehj (He Who Stands Upon the Sun, The First Flame, The Searing Sunderer, Scourge of the Damned), the Köz Esgar serve their master by spreading the divine word of flame. They know many of the deep secrets of fire and cast terrible spells of destruction all the while maintaining an unorthodox understanding of life. The flame of life burns away disease and poison an cauterizes brutal wounds. Healing of a fire paladin will not be a relief, the heat that surges through the paladin and into the wound can be intense and extremely painful; most cry out when a cinder paladin lay their healing hands of upon them.
Khazas Ehj has a deep hatred for undead beings and creatures of water, his agents are expected to dispatch these foes with righteous fury and fire.
Tenets of Flame:
Ashes to Ashes: all things die. Once death has come, let all pass through fire.
Purify by Flame: heal with warmth and cleanse impurity in the blood and soul with motes of cinder. Where domains of the undead exist, scourge with righteous flame.
Stoke the Fire: live, fight and serve with passion. Burn with passion.
No Elemental Alliances: you can serve no other Primordial force. Our war is eternal.
Oath of Cinders Spells
You gain oath spells at the levels listed.
3rd: Hellish Rebuke, Smoke Cloud (as Fog Cloud, only smokier)
5th: Heat Metal, Burning Step (as Misty Step, only fierier)
9th: Hypnotic Pattern, Fireball
13th: Conjure Minor Elementals, Fire Shield
17th: Conjure Elemental, Flame Strike
At 3rd level you gain the following two Channel Divinity options:
Elemental Weapon - as Sacred Weapon (p86), this weapon deals fire damage.
Turn the Unholy - You can censure elementals or undead. Within 30 feet of you, each elemental or undead must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes damage.
Lay on HandsWhen a fire paladin uses the lay on hands class feature, the target of the healing must make a DC 10 Constitution or Wisdom saving throw to avoid crying out in pain as the wounds are closed or toxins are purged. This noise will likely attract all kinds of trouble with the right kind of DM. The paladin has advantage on the check when healing himself.
Improved Divine SmiteThe damage for this effect is changed to fire. This does not affect the Divine Smite power which remains radiant.
Halo of Fire
At 7th level, you wear a halo of flame. You are immune to fire damage. Friendly creatures within 10 feet of you gain resistance to fire damage.
At 15th level, you have honed your magic and reflexes to react to danger. When a creature strikes you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to move up to 30 feet away instantly avoiding the attack and negating the effect. This movement is in a straight line through any number of targets. Targets that are passed through suffer fire damage equal to your Charisma modifier. You can not end your movement in another creatures space.
You can use this power once per long rest.
At 20th level, you gain the ultimate blessing of your god. Using your action, you can assume a fiery form for 1 minute and gain the following benefits:
- You regenerate 10 hit points at the start of your turn.
- Creatures that touch you suffer 10 points of fire damage. (Yes, Fiery Surge just got even more awesome).
- Enemies that start their turn within 10 feet of you suffer 5 points of fire damage.
- Spells of fire can be cast as bonus actions.