Chirurgeons are archaic doctors; the pioneers of surgery and medicine. In Flailsnails/OSR, chirurgeons are body-fixers or cyber-docs specializing in steam-gear cybernetics and weird science.
Prerequisite: Int 9.
Prime Requisites: Int; Int 13 +5%xp; Int 16 +10%xp.
Armour: cloth or leather (aprons, goggles and heavy gloves).
Spells: none. Weird science, baby!
Hit Dice: 1d4, +1d4/level.
Saves: as magic-user.
Attack: as thief.
Start with Mecha-patch and 1 Affliction.
Energy Level 1.
Choose 1 Affliction.
Energy Level 2.
+2 bonus to all healing.
+2 bonus to all damage.
Weapons: Chirurgeons use improvised weapons and inventions for combat. Repurpose weapons from your weapons list; scalpels are daggers, bonesaws are short swords with serrated edges, wrenches are maces or light hammers. Weapon damage should be limited to d6 (d8 in extreme cases).
Stitch Up: During a rest period, the chirurgeon can knit wounds and patch up his allies. The stitch up ability is the number of dice that can be divided between PCs for healing and the chirurgeon adds his Intelligence modifier to one die roll. A 1st level chirurgeon can heal one ally for 1d4 and a second ally for 1d4 +Int mod. (This is specifically non-combat healing; the stitch-up dice can be divided between any number of allies or used to heal only a single ally).
Cyber-doc: The chirurgeon can build and install steam-driven or clockwork cybernetic implants.
Chirurgeons start with one implant at first level. They can build and add one implant per level at half the listed cost. (This doesn't prevent the chirurgeon from acquiring more implants - just not at half cost).
Using Science! points, the chirurgeon can perform strange and amazing acts of weird, super science: having invented a device or potion, the Chirurgeon can channel one of these powers through it for one Science! point. A chirurgeon can add their Intelligence modifier to the total number of Science! points they have.
Affliction (by weapon)
- Fear: save versus paralysis or flee for 1d4+1 rounds
- Paralysis: save versus paralysis for 1d4+1 rounds
- Lesser Poison: save versus poison or suffer 1d4+1 damage per round for 1 round/level.
Curatives (by touch)
- Mecha-patch: a cybernetic patch for holding a damaged implant together 1d4 +1/level temporary hp to a cyborg or mecha. (Can be patched to personal implants).
- Bio-patch: 1d6 +1hp/level recovered.
- Nano-patch: Can cure one disease or poison (basically any affliction).
Energy (by weapon)
- Choose one form of energy and apply it to all weapon attacks for 1 minute/level: fire, cold, lightning, thunder, sonic. +1d8 damage. (This choice is permanent).
- Choose a second form of energy. Spend 2 Science! points to apply it and the first damage type to all attacks for 1 minute/level. +1d8 or +2d8 damage. (This second choice is also permanent. This effect can be separate for 1 point of Science! or combined for 2; hitting with a pistol could inflict cold or fire for 1, or both for 2).
Hulking form (personal only)
- Spending 3 Science! points, the chirurgeon transforms into a juggernaut of destruction. Increase size by 2 levels (Small becomes Large, basically); to hit and damage +3 (considered magical), gain temporary HP equal to Int modifier x Level. Lasts 1 round/level +Con Modifier. After coming out of the Hulking form, the chirurgeon needs time to recover. The Chirurgeon is weakened for 1d8rounds (Reduce this number by the cirurgeon's Constitution modifier). While weakened, all action rolls are made at -2.